Carter G. Woodson, affectionately known as "The Father of Black History" started the nationwide recognition of Black History in 1926 with Negro History Week. In 1976 it became a month long celebration. We know that our history is not something that can be confined to one month and many have started year long campaigns to honor our rich culture. Still it is nice to have a dedicated time where the country comes together and reflects on how the world has advanced in the lives of those of African decent over the years.
One thing that unifies people is sharing a great meal together. It's how we show our love, it's a time where we can come together and share stories and it's a time when precious memories are made. If there is one thing we know about people of African decent, it's that we love to throw down in the kitchen. So pull up a seat, tuck your napkin into your shirt and prepare to enjoy some of the best recipes from 28 black food bloggers around the world in our virtual Black History Month Potluck.
My contribution to the potluck is my Better Than Jiffy Cornbread from Scratch. Growing up Jiffy cornbread was a staple not only in my household, but in many homes across the nation. It was cheap and it was good. As a child I didn't know any difference between the box or from scratch and I loved Jiffy cornbread. It was the perfect combination of sweet and savory to compliment any southern meal. As I've grown older I've come to appreciate homemade dishes from scratch more and more. When I realized just how easy it was to make this dish from scratch I was blown away. I haven't looked back since. This recipe is a little forgiving. I've used buttermilk and whole milk. I've also adjusted the sugar a bit. I like it to have that signature jiffy sweetness, but you can certainly cut back. Here is my "Better Than Jiffy Cornbread Recipe".
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 and 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups Buttermilk
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 stick Melted Butter
Check out all of the recipes from our virtual potluck below. Prepare for some drool worthy dishes.
- Beautiful Eats & Things-Turkey Sausage Stuffed Collard Green Wraps
- Better With Biscuits-Corn Pudding
- Beyond The Bayou Food Blog-Redfish Courtbouillon
- Brandi's Diary-Better Than Jiffy Cornbread from Scratch
- Butter Be Ready-Southern Style Mac and Cheese
- Chef Kenneth-Fried Sweet Potato Hand Pie
- Chocolate For Basil-Pilau and Kachumbari (Spiced Rice with Pico)
- Cooks With Soul-Braised Short Rib Meatloaf
- D.M.R. Fine Foods-Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
- Dash of Jazz-Nigerian Jollof Rice
- Domestic Dee-Fried Peach Hand Pies
- Eat.Drink.Frolic.-Olive Oil Collard Greens
- Food Fidelity-Mofongo Relleno
- Food is Love Made Edible-Buttermilk Biscuits with Fried Chicken and Tabasco Honey
- High Heels and Good Meals-Crawfish Etouffee
- HomeMadeZagat-Shrimp with Spicy Curry Cream Sauce
- Houston Food Fetish-Sweet Almond Tea Cakes
- In the Kitchen w/Kmarie-Pineapple Lemonade
- Marisa Moore Nutrition-Bourbon Peach Glazed Salmon
- Meiko and The Dish-Candied Bourbon Peach Cobbler
- My Life Runs on Food-Lentil Soup and Roast Okra
- Orchids+Sweet Tea-Carrot and Zucchini Noodles Stir Fry with Shrimp
- Raised on Ramen-Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- Savory Spicerack-Creamy Fish Stew
- Simply LaKita-Blackberry Cobbler
- The Hungry Hutch-Orange Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze
- The Kitchenista Diaries-Smothered Turkey Wings
- The Seasoning Bottle-Honey Turmeric Skillet Chicken
I hope that you and your loved ones enjoy these recipes. Now that our virtual bellies are full how about a little virtual workout? Until next time!